Sunday 23 June 2013

Holidays


Hey huns!
As I have said, I went on holidays for 10 days (but with travelling it was 13). My family went to Cuba, a holiday that has been the most different to any other holiday I've been on yet! This is just an outline of the type of stuff I was doing and what it was like.
Quick Things
-Cuba is in South America and is a Spanish speaking island.
-It is on the Caribbean.
-It was embargoed by the US.
-It has a lot of revolutionary history.




We went to London first and then got another flight the next day. The flight was fun because there was movies and tv show. (and food!) When we arrived at the airport in Havana after a 9 hour long flight it was pouring the rain. Total downpour. (it is rainy season after all). We were all so so tired so we all went to sleep early because there was a five hour time difference. We went on tours of the city and it was so humid and was over 30 degrees celcius the whole time. These were some the outfits I wore when I was there.



I got my nails done twice because their aren't any makeup or clothes shops. This was cheap to get done and they are so amazing! They got ruined because of the salt water so I got it done again. A lot of Cuban women get their nails done with super long false ones, but I requested (in terrible Spanish) for none.


The maids in one of the hotels we stayed in left the towels in the shape of an elephant! I pretty much had teh elefun the elephant going around my head. (the theme tune of that game where an elephant blows out butterflies through its trunk)

Because of the embargo, they have barely any new cars. All of the old cars are from the 40's and 50's. There was a hot pink one but I was too far away to take a photo.


We went on a walk/hike to see where they make cigars and coffee in Pinar Del Rio. I stepped on an ant hill and got bitten by red ants but it was still great! The mountains are amazing and is a karst landscape like the burren.


I didn't know this.... but guys, pineapples don't grow on trees. 
They grow on the ground. 
I was shocked to find this out. The guide who took us on the walk picked one and took it to some guys house who makes pina coladas for tourists in his mini bar for the equivalent of less than a euro! (non alcoholic). I tried it, but I don't think I'll have one again!


We went to the beach a few days and it was so nice! There was a breeze so it wasn't too warm. The water was warm and went deep quite quickly. I got stung by a jellyfish on the last day here! Quite sore!

 I got bored and made a turtle out of sand. His name is was *sniff* Timmy.

Mr. Crabs!

I got a dinquiri (din-kir-ee) which is a mocktail of a daiquiri. Its made of lemon juice, pineapple juice and orange juice. It is  a really refreshing drink!


The ice cream is UH-MAZING. This was 450ml of ice cream in a tub. And it was the equivalent of €1.02! Ben & Jerry's isn't even that amount of ice cream and its like €7.



This holiday was such a great experience. Cuba is a country that in 30 years will probably change to a different island that I visited.
I hope you enjoyed this post!
Kate x

2 comments: