Sunday 8 September 2013

Quinceañera

Hey Huns!

SO this is a bit of a different post, but I thought it was relevant because I (and other bbloggers) am turning 15 on Friday (the thirteenth).
A quinceañera is celebrated in most Latin countries and is more important than any other birthday because it is where a girl transitions from childhood to womanhood.

Thats a quick definition from what I understand. The whole thing of celebrating them has fascinated me since my trip to Cuba when a tour guide told us about his daughters quinceanera.

The ceremonies vary from country to country, but most are pretty much the same. There is a ceremony in a church and then the family and friends go to a venue where there is lots of dancing, cake etc. Two of the rituals I like is where the birthday girl has a father daughter dance and the other is where the girls flat shoes are changed to high heels, symbolising that she is a woman. Another thing that is part and parcel with the party is the big beautiful dresses (which in my opinion looks like princess dresses) and the tiara. 

Quinceanera's seems like such a beautiful way to celebrate, much nicer than the sweet sixteen that is glorified on MTV.

When researching this post, I found this mini documentary which you should check out if you want to get a better idea of what it looks like.(Click here)

I know this was a different kind of post, but it really does interest me and I thought it might interest others whose quinceanera is on the horizon. I hope you enjoyed this post and I'll see you in my next video or blogpost!

Kate x

2 comments:

  1. Quinceanera sounds really interesting ! Happy birthday in advance btw :D ! xx

    ReplyDelete